Monday, November 10, 2008

Giant Watering Can with Red Mudan

Every spring in May, many shades of Mudan flowers blossom in my garden. Mudan, which is also called Tree Peony, originated from China. It represents beauty, nobility, peace, and prosperity. It is the most beloved flower for Chinese scholars and poets. Chinese people have cultivated it for centuries. Now Mudan has hundreds varieties with different colors and shapes. It blossoms in the spring and hibernates in the winter. Philadelphia has the perfect climate and environment for Mudan to grow and propagate. I was able to share my success of growing Mudan with my friends. Last year I donate some to Jenkins Arboretum in 2006. They blossomed already the second year. I hope that someday Philadelphia will become the second home for Mudan outside of China.
I was so thrilled that Jenkins Arboretum, at the west of Philadelphia, asked me to join the watering can project to celebrate its 30th anniversary with 30 other artists.  Each artist will decorate a watering can which will auction off at 30th anniversary ceremony. I pained a Mudan watering can in red, green, and imperial yellow. The colors symbolize love, peace, nobility, and prosperity. I had a wonderful time planning and painting the watering can.  I enjoyed every minute of it.

No comments: